Adding SMPTE time code to your soundtrack

Home English Adding SMPTE time code to your soundtrack

Pyro_84820000 2022-05-03 20:36:08
4 voices
6 replies
  • Author
    Newcomer
    Does anyone know how to add SMPTE time code to your audio file in the Finale 3D program, and then export the audio file with embedded time code?

DrewFinale
    Silver

UPDATE: Finale 3D now generates timecode! It’s no longer necessary to use another application to add timecode to your soundtrack – just go to ‘File > Export > Export soundtrack…’. In the export soundtrack dialog, set the left channel to ‘Music mono’ and the right channel to ‘SMPTE 30 fps’.

———-

Sure thing! Here’s a video that demonstrates how to export your soundtrack from Finale 3D and add (Cobra compatible) SMPTE time code using Audacity:

Andy McKeeman
    Newcomer
    Quick question, given the 5 seconds of audio silence generated at the beginning of the soundtrack, will the 18r2 start firing at 0 (since the timecode starts at 0) or at the first cue from finale, let’s say at 5.3 seconds in? It seems to me that as soon as you hit the play button on the soundtrack, the show will start firing.

I’m assuming that the show should be started and on pause on the 18r2 before starting the soundtrack. I hope that’s correct, at least.

Sorry for the dumb questions, I’m just trying to get a handle on everything possible before my first pyromusical on the 2nd.

Thank you in advance for the response.

DrewFinale
    Silver

No! The 18R2 won’t fire at 0 seconds in your example because your first cue is at 5.3s!

If the first ‘Event Time’ in your script is 5.3 seconds, then the 18R2 will fire the cue 5.3 seconds after you start playing your soundtrack and feeding time code to the remote. Think of time code as a stopwatch. When you hit play, the remote receives the time code starting at 0s. The remote is thinking, “okay, I’m getting time code, cool, we’re at 0s, do I have any cues to fire? No. Okay, now we’re at 1s, do I have any cues to fire? No.” Then all of a sudden 5.3s passes and BAM! This is the beauty of time code.

You can try it for yourself in your living room, there’s no reason to wait until the day of your show. All you need is your soundtrack with SMPTE, a computer or other device to play your soundtrack, the 1/8″ stereo to RCA cable, your script file, and your 18R2 remote.

Andy McKeeman
    Newcomer
    Thank you, Drew! I appreciate the explanation. I was going to start testing all that out this weekend. You just saved me a few steps, so thank you again!

chiarappa fireworks
    Newcomer
    ce qualche altro software oltre ad Audacity?

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Hi chiarappa fireworks, yes, you can use any audio editing software you prefer.

Sì, puoi utilizzare qualsiasi software di editing audio che preferisci.