I customized my window layout, reports, and labels, where are they saved?

Home English I customized my window layout, reports, and labels, where are they saved?

DrewFinale 2023-03-29 15:39:53
1 voice
0 replies
  • Author
    Silver
    Depending on your version of Finale 3D (Lite, Hobbyist, Pro), there are a wide variety of customizations available to you including, user settings, window arrangement presets, the layout of table windows such as the effects and script window, and more.

There are two locations where customizations are saved:

• The first location is within a show FIN file. Accessing anything saved in a show file is as easy as opening the show (‘File > Open’).
      • The second location is the per_user_settings text file in the Finale 3D installation directory.

Generally, the per_user_settings file is meant to be entirely hands off. However, if you were switching computers or needed to access the file for any other reason, you can get to it from Finale 3D by going to ‘File > Admin > Open backup files directory’. This will take you to the finale3d-backups folder on your computer’s hard drive.

The finale3d-backups folder is NOT overwritten when you install a new release of Finale 3D. Unless you totally uninstall Finale 3D and delete the directory, the backups folder should remain including all its contents.

So, what is saved in each location?

• Custom window arrangements (i.e., “Presets”, found in ‘Window > Preset 4, 5, 6’, the size and position of windows on your screen or screens) — saved in per_user_settings in the finale3d-backups folder
      • User settings (everything in ‘File > User settings’) — saved in per_user_settings in the finale3d-backups folder
      • Custom table layouts represented by puzzle piece icons (the visibility, width, and order of columns in windows like the Effects window and Script window) — saved as blueprints in the show FIN file.
      • Show settings (everything in ‘Show > Show settings’) — saved in the show FIN file
      • Custom reports, labels, site layouts, rack diagrams (applies to Finale 3D Pro) — saved as blueprints in the show FIN file.