Importing doesn’t bring over the VDL script as I wrote it.

Home English Importing doesn’t bring over the VDL script as I wrote it.

Pyro_37130000 2022-08-15 19:23:45
2 voices
3 replies
  • Author
    Newcomer
    When I import the Text file it doesn’t bring over the VDL as I wrote it.

Eg. 30mm 13.00s 0.30 PFT 156 Shot X Shape (a) Green Crossette + (b) Red Crossette Cake, 13 Rows, Rows 1,3,5,7,9,11,13 (aaaaaaaaaaaa), Rows 2,4,6,8,10,12 (bbbbbbbbbbbb)

It Changes the seconds to 1.3s ?

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Hi Pyro_37130000, I just did a few experiments and wasn’t able to reproduce the behavior you described. Here are the steps that I took:

1) Create a spreadsheet with 3 columns, “Part Number”, “Description”, and “VDL”, as shown in the screenshot below.

2) Save the spreadsheet as a Text (.txt) file

3) In Finale 3D, import the file by going to File > Import > Import effects file… > (select a location)

4) Import using the default options

Each time I do this, the cake comes in with a duration of 13 seconds. Is this a different process than what you’re doing?

Pyro_37130000
    Newcomer
    It looked fine in the effects window vdl column but it didn’t play back as was designed so when i went back in the vdl from the effects window, that’s where it read wrong.

DrewFinale
    Silver
    I think part of the confusion may stem from the fact that the “VDL” column doesn’t ultimately store the overall duration of cakes (and other effects). When you do ‘Effects > Create effect’, you can see that the full description of an effect is split into multiple fields, each of which are separate columns in the Effects window. Below is a screenshot of the create effect dialog using your cake as an example. At the top, you can see the full visual description, and at the bottom (in the green boxes), you can see that the size, prefire and duration, etc. all of which are placed into separate fields (columns).