Bug reports?

Home English Bug reports?

Barehm 2023-05-28 13:26:47
3 voices
8 replies
  • Author
    Newcomer
    As I’m playing with the beta version, I occasionally run across things I suspect the Finale3D developers would like to know about. Is there a preferred way to pass on the things I’m seeing? None of them are showstopper things, but may be nice to have a QA ticket for. Two examples:

1) I can pretty easily recreate some steps of building a simple comet, stamping it out multiple times, building a cake and then when I tab off the description field, the height of the cake jumps to 100m even though each individual shot is 35m. Oddly, doesn’t seem to break the actual visualization.

2) Whistling comets have a nice sound, but when I try to mix that with something else (e.g. a small crackle break), the sound of the whistle disappears. The node appears to be entirely gone in the effect editor ‘XML’ (for lack of a better description).

-Brett

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Hi Brett, great question. At the moment, we don’t have a dedicated system or process in place for bug reports. But we greatly appreciate you and anyone who takes the time to send feedback. Sending an email to support@finale3d.com is a great way to report bugs, especially when a file attachment is needed. The forum is also a good way to report bugs and has the added benefit of being accessible and searchable by all.

Tips on submitting actionable bug reports:

1) To make a bug report actionable, we generally need a way to reproduce the issue. If we can reproduce the issue, there’s a substantially greater chance we can fix it.

2) The most useful bug reports are ones that include specific, detailed steps to reproduce the bug (a reproduction path).

3) Screenshots, and especially a Finale 3D Show (FIN) file are also extremely helpful. A show (FIN) file is also substantially more helpful if it contains only what’s needed to reproduce the issue. We call this a Minimal Test Case (MTC).

Can you tell me the steps to reproduce each of the issues you described?

For example, I wasn’t able to reproduce the first issue with these steps:

1) Go to Effects > Create effect…

2) In the Create Effect dialog, in the ‘Visual description field (full VDL)’ field, enter 1″ Silver Comet, and then click Enter to save.

3) Add two 1″ Silver Comets to the timeline and then go to Effects > Combine as cake effect..

When I tried this, the height of the individual comets was 58.1m and the height of the cake was also 58.1m. I tried changing the Description of the cake in the Effects window and the height remained 58.1m. Where am I going wrong?

For the second issue, can you tell me a VDL phrase that I can use to create an effect that should have a whistle sound but doesn’t?

Barehm
    Newcomer
    Sounds good.

Let me focus on the first one to start (heights that don’t make sense to me). I built ~5 cakes where the heights are all <40m, but the combined cake is 110m.

Looking back at the cakes I created today, they’re all related to my poor attempts at trying to recreate very slow flying fish effects. From your other video, I saw Meteor had a better slow movement and hence started doing a path of using the effects editor, which I’ve found to be super powerful.

The easiest way to reproduce this right now is to

1) Build a cake with the VDL below

2) Break apart the cake to see that in fact all 9 shots are 33.5m

3) select them all to make the cake again

4) when the window first opens, looks ok, but when you tab off the VDL field, it sets the height wrong.

If you’re interested in the cake, I’m just trying to do something simple like this:

VDL to Copy:

10mm 110.0m 12.00s 9 Shot Cake (a) {1KLUv/WB2BUUZAJYhg0zQ8DgHyquZBPWtNwjGVB84jyp8qpAIOgSUHarET22gHTsCjhCjf30kevcHWm0A7CCpRvGlyIKOXR3gTIFLo4po3jQYte/k5Lt/S5kCbgBxAHEADXLf2iJcXLIIJrkwcv5dW/s+HO/a2v5Iby2ljk76IMaSef6/zBqeb8mwil5pUutryRKtO6MXBPNSyFQHlQZ6WHya6fQmwvS1ZLdhWpE7GvMhFF0oVqgM+lpSBqZ+cs8xA0QoYpTSCAKNHm1jUBdG+EDOf3htrfxIby2zmE43pIrpdEN5y9CoEXbICmAYri1gXVcSZQKiohrCw0b/a4eu/6vNph0hqfbG5fLeuFzYUWf0tWQKEHqSU1xMQjesq8FrXeWJAVqAUQWD1WLWEn0teaqJUWha5dgEmqYI6KvsAjyd58dUkTspY8S20XDI+3VWCEUsM3aN8rh2gXjtrOParkPIkd3/y5PZVEuZIyWVsAlpKBncYJFLEB8AoYjP0dsA83I09lyMMhRmkTIE/+GA84tJCTHCL0+DM65RYHYvGQVm97JnjiTkfSpYhSKLax0S/+E82fV/+H04HGXFiIiKOsuZlDnL+WL7XJOMswndhCK2MNYUVndQtCqN/G3MyaVZKR3DICCohbqpWpmmt9O1Nf7/Jgj/l4mCfovbIAAhi2ASc4e/yT93oifznhUTh0lJxplYQTtH/0d4X4ChMCiZEaESkRRGwwFRG4ldcqcwc7YxAGAIqkEEsAHCIl+mkAmuf8uRtcG8gKX9FYICQwbkwQPIWR8mIXeccbdskuXqbg3AFTh1DAgI8YcKgItGYrgM44DkJcRaaqm7kMb2FxtJPCCTDmHtL1v2PGRrftukAQfV3vUIaW6X2tXqEYgTeW7DhjhWLjABpiaaalegezxWohCygibSzq2BM7MopH5KVChDKX19OohNK0/MzK2MHJuYlvxg7QKODHCPzIEZ6T1nAQlg5fDyrROQA9bApMJZqjUC62HIoL7gpQBrC5DoIpLieHdxFWyGzyuuybNuFZLvRLbSqMmsqHyWQSHv0TCcLFuF94zWYMLFC41GvDO5mPyYBws=} + (b) {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}, 1 Row (ababababa/STR)

Barehm
    Newcomer
    Regarding the whistles issue, here’s one example:

VDL = 30mm Rising Whirls & Whistles Tail To Blue Peony  [This is silent]

VDL = 30mm Rising Whirls & Whistles Tail [Works as expected]

In the first VDL, the effect editor, the star phase of “rising whirls whistles” does not have a sound element indicating whistling. I could be running into a limitation of the DOM that wouldn’t allow the effect to have only whistling on the rise and stop on the break? I’ve found a fair amount of cakes that have a shot like this, so maybe just a nice enhancement?

Dirk Enders – PyroOffice
    Charcoal
    Hi Barehm,

for the first VDL you can try the following effect editor setting:Effect Editor settings

Hope this helps

Dirk

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Hi Brett,

Thanks for the additional info, I was able to reproduce both bugs. The key to reproducing the height issue was knowing that you were creating a cake using effects that had been customized in the effect editor. The bug seems to only apply to custom effects, not VDL effects. For the missing whistle sound bug, the VDL you provided was just what I needed.

Dirk Enders – PyroOffice is absolutely right, you can use the effect editor to add missing whistle sounds. Although, that shouldn’t be necessary, the fact that the sound is missing by default is definitely a bug.

Barehm
    Newcomer
    HI Drew,

Glad it was helpful. I work for a large software company and hence am always on the hunt for software issues to report :).  Neither of these seem very high priority to me personally for what it’s worth.

I didn’t get a chance to try Dirk’s suggestion, but seems like I’d be picking the whistle sound and losing the shell break – pretty minor stuff in the grand scheme of things, but the ideal enhancement would be to have two stage sound based on the duration of each phase of the effect.

-Brett

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Hi Brett, with Dirk’s suggestion, you can add sound effects at any level of the tree. You don’t have to choose between a rising whistle sound, a break sound, or another sound effect for the stars after the break.

Barehm
    Newcomer
    Here’s another example where I don’t think the sound is defaulting in correctly:

1.75″ Gold Chrysanthemum To Silver Time Rain w/ Tiger Tail Single Shot

It draws the silver time rain effect correctly, but no sound .

Regarding your suggestion to add nodes anywhere, do I need to dump this out to a text file first?  When I click the action drop down next to each node, I’m very limited in which ones allow me to put in a blank sound node.  For example, I can add one on a ‘break’ node, but not on a ‘star’ node. When I build this VDL:

1.75″ Gold Peony w/ Time Rain w/ Tiger Tail Single Shot

Then I can see a sound node under ‘star’, but I can’t add one manually (or add one in another effect being edited in the effect editor). It does certainly work to change the effect of an existing sound node.

thanks for your continued help.

-Brett