realistic airburst effect

Home English realistic airburst effect

NEC 2023-07-11 22:07:47
2 voices
2 replies
  • Author
    Newcomer
    I’m having a hard time sorting out a realistic stage airburst effect VDL.  It seems airburst is a recognized VDL phrase but I’m getting silly durations (5,6,7 seconds), these are instant effects.  Probably something easy I’m missing.  Need to produce an accurate sim for a client and this is the final holdup

DrewFinale
    Silver
    You’re absolutely right, the default tuning for “Airburst” needs some work. At least for now, the custom Effect Editor is the way to go, it will allow you to get the exact look you want.

Start by creating a base effect using VDL. For example, if your airbursts have red stars, start with 1″ Red Peony. If your airbursts have a report sound and a splash of sparks, start with 1″ Ti Salute. When making your base effect, don’t use the term Airburst, just use the terms that describe the effect in the airburst. After saving your base effect, right click on it in the Effects window and select ‘Customize the effect simulation’s parameters’ (if you’re running the 2023.04.13 full release), or ‘Edit in effect editor’ (if you’re running a more recent beta release). Once you have your base VDL effect open in the effect editor, the customization options are virtually limitless. At a minimum, you’ll want to delete the launch nodes for the mortar flame and mortar sparks, change the prefire to 0s, change the launch duration to 0s and change the height to 0m. You may also want to change the break characteristics such as the break width, star count, star duration, etc.

NEC
    Newcomer
    Thank you so much!  I now have everything I need (and learned a bunch regarding the customizations!)