Importing personal catalog

Home English Importing personal catalog

3 voices
4 replies
  • Author
    Newcomer
    I have an excel spreadsheet with all my data about my fireworks inventory including VDL definitions that I would like to import into an effect database (.fdb) in Finale 3D.  It seems the newest version of excel exports in either or tab delimited, CSV comma delimited, or Formated Text space delimited.  The documentation recommends that the spreadsheet be exported as a Unicode  (.txt)  which is no longer offered as an export option.

Any suggestions on which of the aforementioned formats is best to import into my effects database?

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Hey Phil, here’s a screenshot of the options I see when I do ‘File > Save As’ in Excel. If you don’t have the Unicode Text (*.txt) option, the comma delimited CSV or tab delimited TXT options should work just fine. I regularly import tab delimited text files into Finale 3D with no issues. I recommend tab delimited over comma delimited because comma delimited won’t work properly if there is a comma anywhere in your data. Be sure NOT to use the “Formatted Text (Space delimited)” option.

Phil (Fire In the Sky Pyrotechnics)
    Newcomer
    Another senior moment I didn’t look at the dropdown.  😉 Never mind. 😊

Barehm
    Newcomer
    For what it’s worth, I entirely missed this recommendation and did everything with CSV and it worked fine.  commas are appropriately escaped and recognized by finale3D in my testing.  Now I’m wondering what might hypothetically break! 🙂

-Brett

Phil (Fire In the Sky Pyrotechnics)
    Newcomer
    After dropping down the file type on the save dialog it was easy to import.  I was able to import everything with all the values I needed for my availables, prices, and even some info I find useful that I put in some user fields.  Everything imported and it recognize all the column names.

I’m a happy camper again.