Labels and e-match count

Home English Labels and e-match count

DB 2023-05-28 03:13:46
3 voices
5 replies
  • Author
    Newcomer
    This is my first year using Finale and I’m trying to understand the labels I just printed (labels by address). Address 1-14 has three mines and one slice all shooting at the same time, but it just says 1/1 e-match. Address 1-10 has two purple mines and two white mines shooting at the same time and it says 1/1 e-matches and 1/2 e-matches.

Can someone explain the difference between address 1-10 and 1-14 when it comes to the e-match count on the bottom right corner?

Labels by Address

NEC
    Newcomer
    The two purple mines on 01-10 are in the same rack and shooting at the same time, it looks like you’re allowing more than one ematch per pin when addressing, hence the 1/2 and 2/2 (matches 1 and 2 of two on the same pin in the same rack).  What does your addressing blueprint look like?  Are you using slats or duplicating module IDs?

DB
    Newcomer
    I didn’t set up a blueprint, but maybe there is one set by default? I’ll have to take a look. I didn’t specify slats or anything else.

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Hi DB, the “e-match hint” tells you the number of e-matches on the same firing system pin and at the same position. Looking at the position names in the upper right corner of your labels, I can see that all four of the items on address 01-14 on different positions. This is why the e-match hint says 1/1 e-match for each item. By contrast, two of the items on address 01-10 are at the same position. This is why they say 1/2 e-matches and 2/2 ematches.

What I can’t say from looking at your labels is how you got to this point. By asking about your blueprint, I think NEC is more generally asking about your addressing configuration, which is a great question. The standard way to assign firing system addresses is to go to ‘Addressing > Address show’. Did you do this, or did you manually hand key addresses in to the Script window, or something else?

Your labels are slightly unusual if you addressed you show using the standard approach. I say this because to get this result, not only would you have had to increase the max. ematches per pin setting, but you also would have had to remove the constraint that restricts each module to a single position. How do I know? Because if you addressed the standard way, and didn’t remove the constraint, you wouldn’t have module 01 being used at all these different positions. This might be something to look at closely, because when you don’t restrict modules in any way, then any item (at any position, anywhere on your shoot site), may end up needing to plug into any module. This could make wiring your show almost impossible unless your entire show is set up from a single spot where any wire can reach any module.

DB
    Newcomer
    That was it.

I’m using the Hobbyist version and once I added the pin restriction by position, the labels made more sense. I initially used the module restriction by position, but I needed 20 modules addressing the show that way vs the 16 I needed addressing the show using pin restriction by position (I only have 16 modules). Without either restriction (my original post), I needed 12 modules and I thought I was good until I looked at the labels.

Thanks for the assist!

Address Show Box

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Hi DB, just keep in mind that even though you’ve restricted a Pin (i.e., Cue) to a single position, another pin on the same module could be used anywhere. In other words, you won’t have wires from different positions that are 300ft apart that need to be plugged into the same pin. But you may have wires from different positions 300ft apart need to be plugged into different pins on the same module. If your shoot site is very compact, this may not be a concern. But if you’re shoot site is larger than the length of your e-match wires, then you may end up in a situation where wires don’t reach the modules they need to be plugged into. I totally get that you’re limited by the number of modules that you own, I just don’t want you to fall into a situation where your show can’t physically be set up.

To learn more about sharing modules across multiple positions, check out this video: https://finale3d.com/video/how-to-share-modules-between-positions/