Tail questions

Home English Tail questions

Barehm 2023-05-21 03:02:09
2 voices
9 replies
  • Author
    Newcomer
    I’m a new user to Finale3D (Thanks to Drew helping me at Cobra Con) and have been building out some of the Raccoon pro line slices.  Ran into two issues with slice/fan cakes I can’t figure out.  I’ve got some comets that have tails that:

A) Have a color other than gold or silver

B) Have a strobing effect in the tail.

RA142004 is a good example

The tail is red and strobes. I can’t replicate this well in VDL. I’ve notice I can make tails have ‘color’ in regards to the head of the tail and same with strobing, but can’t generally impact the behavior of the tail itself. Am I missing a VDL directive to handle this?

thanks,

Brett

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Hi Brett, welcome to the Finale 3D forum and congrats on your first post!

In VDL terminology, the effect you’re looking for is called “Red Strobing Willow”. More specifically, a Red Strobing Willow Comet. There’s just one problem – it doesn’t exist in the latest full release of Finale 3D. But there’s good news! The day before Cobra-Con, we published a new beta release with tons of effect improvements including brand new VDL effects. To get Red Strobing Willow and all the other new effects, head over to the Download page and grab the latest beta release. After installing, try this VDL to make your cake:

30mm 0.50s 13 Shot 90 Degrees (a) Red Strobing Willow Comet w/ Green Strobing Mine Cake, 1 Row (aaaaaaaaaaaaa/FNR)

Barehm
    Newcomer
    That worked excellent – thank you for the advice. Looking forward to playing more with the new effects!

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Glad to hear it! If you’re interested in reading the full list of VDL improvements, click the ‘+’ to expand the release notes on the Download page.

Barehm
    Newcomer
    Deleted. Accidentally double posted.

Barehm
    Newcomer
    thanks – that was helpful to read.  Two other questions:

1) is there a library of effects somewhere to review?

2) Is there a way to combine two different effects in a comet?  In the example video below, I was assuming I’d use some type of straight comet to go getter, but can’t seem to replicate it effectively.

DrewFinale
    Silver

thanks – that was helpful to read. Two other questions:

1) is there a library of effects somewhere to review?

2) Is there a way to combine two different effects in a comet? In the example video below, I was assuming I’d use some type of straight comet to go getter, but can’t seem to replicate it effectively.

1) We don’t have an effect glossy just yet, but we’re working on it.

2) You can create the go-getter effect in your video using a combination of VDL and the custom effect editor. Here’s a quick video tutorial:

Barehm
    Newcomer
    thanks, Drew – that’s super helpful. Looking forward to learning more tips and tricks.  You should consider a more advanced cake building class or set of tutorials that can be built up into a you tube playlist!

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Brett, have you checked out the video gallery in the Finale 3D Help Center? There you’ll find a playlist titled ‘Creating and Editing Effects’ with 25 videos. I’m absolutely not saying more videos aren’t needed, but if you’re only looking on YouTube, then you’re missing a lot of good content. I’ve moved away from YouTube somewhat because I’ve found other tools that make publishing videos much quicker. I’m also focused on our Help Center continuing to grown as the one-stop-shop for searchable Finale 3D support content including documentation, videos, and forum posts.

Barehm
    Newcomer
    no, I hadn’t found those yet, so thank you for the advice. I’ll watch those to try and avoid asking questions you’ve already answered!  Appreciate the help. If I run into effects I can’t replicate, I’ll post here, unless you suggest a different medium. thanks!