Rack Type

Home English Rack Type

Barehm 2023-06-08 22:03:25
3 voices
5 replies
  • Author
    Newcomer

Using “Rack Type” to control what types of racks are used for what effects

This article indicates Rack Type is something available to hobbyists, but I don’t see that field when I’m adding racks to my show. I’m trying to add a slice holder and limit the cakes that are slices in my show for assignment into that rack.  Can you help clarify how this can be done without the rack type field in the rack itself?

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Great question, Rack Type is available in Hobbyist and it’s built to handle exactly the kind of scenario you described. If you’re creating your own racks, you set the Rack Type for your racks in the “Rack Type Default” column of the Effects Window. To pair your slices with your slice rack, you specify the same Rack Type for your slices in the Rack Type column in the Script window.

Here’s a video tutorial that demonstrates exactly how to do this for shells, the principle is exactly the same for cake slices and other kinds of effects.

https://finale3d.com/video/using-rack-type-to-pair-fanned-shells-or-fanned-chains-with-fan-racks

Barehm
    Newcomer
    Thanks, Drew, that makes sense to me now.

I’m now a little confused on what exactly Hobbyist can do with racks – hoping you can help clarify that. I certainly understand the visual layout and UI that shows you racks with effects is in the pro version only. However, I thought that after I added racks to my show that a rack would be assigned in the effects window. I’m either still doing something wrong or I’m misunderstanding the racking capabilities in hobbyist.  Without any assigned rack, I’m unclear what the available rack report options would provide.

It does looks like if I try to open the racking window, I can see racks in the bottom and they’re assigned a number. I can manually assign this number in the effects window.  Is that the suggested workflow to actually assign effects into racks within hobbyist or is there some way to expose how finale3d allocated effects to generate rack counts?

thanks,

-Brett

Great question, Rack Type is available in Hobbyist and it’s built to handle exactly the kind of scenario you described. If you’re creating your own racks, you set specify the Rack Type for your racks in the “Rack Type Default” column of the Effects Window. To pair your slices with your slice rack, you specify the same Rack Type for your slices in the Rack Type column in the Script window.

Here’s a video tutorial that demonstrates exactly how to do this for shells, the principle is exactly the same for cake slices and other kinds of effects.

https://finale3d.com/video/using-rack-type-to-pair-fanned-shells-or-fanned-chains-with-fan-racks

Barehm
    Newcomer
    DrewFinale – another thing that I can’t explain is that even when I manually assign racks in the script window, if I select Racks > Select racks missing rack assignments, it selects everything in my script.  Is this feature limited to Pro licenses?

Pyro_41400000
    Newcomer
    DrewFinale I found this information and the video helpful, but either I’m doing something wrong or the Rack Type is not functioning for Hobbyist – which I understand it is supposed to.

If I assign Rack Types to my effects, The addressing does not seem to recognize it to restrict slats to each Rack Type.     Attached is a image of my addressing constraints and the script.  If I understand the constraints properly, Rows 3,4,5, & 6 should be on a different rail than Rows 1 and 2.

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Hi Pyro_41400000, welcome to the Finale 3D community and thanks for posting!

Be sure to head over to your My Profile page to customize your display name and profile picture.

You certainly didn’t waste any time jumping into an advanced topic with your first post! Your description along with the screenshot makes the issue perfectly clear. It doesn’t appear that you’re doing anything wrong. I did a quick test in Pro and I’m getting the same result which rules out the Hobbyist version being the culprit. I will investigate further. In the meantime, a quick solution for you is to copy and paste the contents of the Rack Type column into the Custom Script Field column (in the script window). Then, change your addressing constraint for slats from ‘Rack Type’ to ‘Custom Script Field’.