Music questions

Home English Music questions

joelinvan 2022-11-23 23:28:34
4 voices
8 replies
  • Author
    Newcomer
    Two questions about sound and music:

1. I have a single-track, 15-minute-long piece of music. Is there a way for me to break that into sections that I can jump to?

2. When I import the song into Finale, does it stay as a stereo track, or does it get mixed down to mono? Similarly, when I export a video is the audio in mono or stereo?

DrewFinale
    Silver

Two questions about sound and music:

1. I have a single-track, 15-minute-long piece of music. Is there a way for me to break that into sections that I can jump to?

You can use the editing features in Finale 3D to break a soundtrack apart, but this won’t help you jump from one point in the soundtrack to another. We don’t really have a feature at the moment for adding waypoints or bookmarks to a soundtrack. A decent workaround would be to add camera keyframes from the Camera menu and then select rows in the Camera window to jump from one keyframe to another. For reference, camera keyframes as primary meant for creating camera animation during playback, but you can disable camera motion from the Camera menu. Here’s a documentation article on camera animation: https://finale3d.com/documentation/camera-animation/

2. When I import the song into Finale, does it stay as a stereo track, or does it get mixed down to mono? Similarly, when I export a video is the audio in mono or stereo?

No mono mixdown at any point. Stereo at import; stereo in exported videos.

Phil (Fire In the Sky Pyrotechnics)
    Newcomer
    I have mixed a soundtrack with Audacity, and it plays back fine in Audacity, but when imported to Finale3D (exported from Audacity as single MP3) and played back there is a distinct ‘pop’ at the beginning of each mixed track.  I know this is not a Finale3D issue but was curious if anyone else has seen this and knows of a workaround or fix.

This became noticeable when I added a song (single mixed MP3).  I can even see a spike on the waveform in Finale that I don’t see in Audacity.

I don’t know of any soundtrack editing capabilities in Finale3D, if there are I would be interested in hearing about them.

DrewFinale
    Silver
    HI Phil (Fire In the Sky Pyrotechnics), thanks for posting. We’re aware of the audio issues when importing some MP3s and we will fix it as soon as we can. In the meantime, there’s a fairly easy workaround that has been 100% reliable. For more details and a tutorial video, check out this forum topic: MP3 audio issues (static, crackling, popping, clicking) when importing songs into Finale 3D.

Although not a recommended solution to the issue you’re having, the Hobbyist and Pro version of Finale 3D do have basic audio editing capabilities. Here’s a video tutorial from the Finale 3D Help Center: Creating a soundtrack and editing songs in Finale 3D.

Phil (Fire In the Sky Pyrotechnics)
    Newcomer
    Thank you DrewFinale,  I am surprised that the latest version hasn’t addressed this by now.

DrewFinale
    Silver

Thank you DrewFinale, I am surprised that the latest version hasn’t addressed this by now.

Hi Phil, I hear you, I would very much like to cross this off the list. We estimate that the fix will require a multi-week development initiative and there are numerous requests competing for top spots in the development schedule. We haven’t made this a top priority yet primarily because there is a easy/reliable workaround.

Junk_Pyro
    Newcomer
    I have a mono MP3 music file created and edited in Audacity.  File length 18 minutes. Trying to import into Finale – file name appears in music show files after import, but with a 0:00 length, no music imports.  I can play the file normally outside of FInale.  Receive no errors or see no documentation on what may be causing this issue.

The original unedited MP3 individual songs import and play in FInale, but an edited individual song in Audacity exported, imported to Finale has similar results as above, shows in the music file as imported, but at 0:00 length.

DrewFinale
    Silver

Hi Junk_Pyro, I think the problem may be the bitrate or another Audacity MP3 encoding setting. Can you share a screenshot or photo that shows the options that are selected when you export a song or soundtrack from Audacity? Alternatively, you can try exporting from Audacity as a WAV file and importing that into Finale 3D.

Junk_Pyro
    Newcomer
    I was able to make the individual song files work by adjusting the way I exported them.  Uploaded one at a time.  Thank you for your quick response.  Appreciate.