PyroJam 2023 (official competition discussion topic)

Home English PyroJam 2023 (official competition discussion topic)

DrewFinale 2023-01-09 02:34:15
20 voices
117 replies
Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    Charcoal
    I have a question about the 5″-6″ shells 2 position before I submit my show. Can I angle shells in this position to 15 and -15?

Thank you

Matt

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Hey Matt Loreto, I have a question for you! What makes you think you couldn’t angle your shells at +/- 15 degrees on a 6″ position?

Marius Colita
    Newcomer
    Thank you very much !

Matt Loreto
    Charcoal
    My apologies Drew I thought 20 degrees from vertical meant something completely different. I reread the rules and I found my answer haha.

DrewFinale
    Silver

Thank you! I’m sorry I don’t know why my name came up as that!! Thank you for fixing that!!

Hey Matt, I actually didn’t fix anything, the post appeared to be from a new user, that’s why I recommended a profile update. I just looked into this, and I discovered that you have two Finale 3D accounts under two very similar email addresses. One of your accounts has a profile picture and a personalized display name, the other one doesn’t. When you posted, you were logged into your non-personalized account. To avoid the problem in the future, just make sure you’re logged in using your preferred account.

Matt Loreto
    Charcoal
    Gotcha, I believe it is my old email I no longer have access to. I was saying thank you for making the adjustment on that 6″ red strobe willow

Marius Colita
    Newcomer
    Hi! How do we submit scripts? In what format, how do we export for which devices? And 2: Can we make the scenarios public (to boast  🙂  ) with them before presenting them to you, for the jury to decide? (let’s put them on the video channels (facebook, youtube?)

DrewFinale
    Silver

Hi! How do we submit scripts? In what format, how do we export for which devices? And 2: Can we make the scenarios public (to boast 🙂 ) with them before presenting them to you, for the jury to decide? (let’s put them on the video channels (facebook, youtube?)

Hi Marius, please review the steps in the How to Participate section on the PyroJam competition page.

DrewFinale
    Silver

Hi! How do we submit scripts? In what format, how do we export for which devices? And 2: Can we make the scenarios public (to boast 🙂 ) with them before presenting them to you, for the jury to decide? (let’s put them on the video channels (facebook, youtube?)

Hi Marius, for your second question, there’s no rule to prevent you from publishing your show before the submission deadline. Although, once you publish it, there’s also nothing to prevent others from getting inspiration from it. The judging is meant to be done with the competitors remaining anonymous, but if you publish your show before the judging is complete, there’s a chance the judges will connect your show back to you. If you don’t mind others seeing your show before they submit your own, and you don’t care if the judges see it and associate it with you, then go ahead and publish it! Otherwise, hold off until the finalists are announced.

Engineer Cat
    Newcomer
    So while auditing product positions I came across this and wondering if this isn’t counted in my total cost.

It shows the product in my script and shoots it in the design window but USED shows 0.

Engineer Cat
    Newcomer
    I think I answered my own question. I deleted the effect from the script and my price dropped by the amount the effect cost.. Not sure why its showing 0 though. I do have the two chain options check marked in the user settings.

DrewFinale
    Silver

I think I answered my own question. I deleted the effect from the script and my price dropped by the amount the effect cost.. Not sure why its showing 0 though. I do have the two chain options check marked in the user settings.

Here’s the answer from a bit earlier in this thread: https://finale3d.com/groups/english/forum/topic/pyrojam-2023-official-discussion-topic/page/2/#post-1455338

You mentioned the chain settings -those are unrelated to the set piece and wheel “macros”. But it might be worth mentioning that both chain settings shouldn’t be “checked”. See: https://finale3d.com/contests/pyrojam-2023/#show-budget

Engineer Cat
    Newcomer
    I’ve run into another issue that I don’t understand. In the script it shows nothing in the NEXT space. So if I delete it, it removes more times from the NEXT space. Why is this?

Then this happens.

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Hi Engineer Cat, the ‘Next’ column displays the time from any script line’s Effect Time of the next script line’s Effect Time. If Next is blank, it means that nothing else is next. If you delete lines of script, you’ll change what comes next and the values will change accordingly. Your screenshots show that your script is sorted by Event Time. Since the Next vales are based on Effect Time, try sorting your script by Effect Time and I think you’ll find the values will make more sense. Moreover, unless there is a specific reason you need the next column, you can just disregard it or hide the column altogether. The column exists simply because users asked for a column that tells how long before the “next” thing is going to happen in a show.

Matt Loreto
    Charcoal
    I’m not sure if this was previously answered. I just submitted my show is there a confirmation that it was submitted correctly and obtained on your end?

Thank you

Matt

DrewFinale
    Silver

Hi Matt Loreto, the only confirmation is the message displayed directly on the competition submission page. We will contact you if we have any trouble with the WeTransfer link or your show file.

Matt Loreto
    Charcoal
    Okay awesome! Thank you I just want to find that out!

Engineer Cat
    Newcomer
    Thanks Drew. So just to confirm. If the next time is blank that cue will still fire?

I was worried that there was a problem with the script. That was the only reason I was trying to remove and then replace it to see if the NEXT event time would return. I’m removing that column. lol

By the way. I came across this when auditing the show. Thank so much for the information on sorting the show to find cues in the wrong positions. I had quite a few I came across but because of the sorting explanation you provide, was able to make quick work of the audit.

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Hi Engineer Cat, take a look at the screenshot below. This is a simple show with 5 shells bursting 1 second apart. The first shell bursts at 5 seconds and the last shell bursts at 9 seconds. The ‘Next’ value is 1.0s for each shell except for the last shell. The 1.0s value comes from the time from one shell’s Effect time to the next shell’s Effect Time. The last shell has no Next value because it’s the last thing in the show, there’s nothing next! No matter the show, something is always last, and the last item will have a blank Next value. Will the item be included in the exported firing system script? Yes, absolutely! Otherwise, we’d be getting a lot of negative feedback.

Engineer Cat
    Newcomer
    Ahh OK. I get it now. Thanks Drew.

If a show doesn’t make it to the finals due to a technicality like the wrong effects were used instead of the Pyrojam inventory, or effects were placed in the wrong positions, or shells are angled over the 20 degree limit, will you guys notify us of the reason the show was disqualified?

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 118 total)