PyroJam 2023 (official competition discussion topic)

Home English PyroJam 2023 (official competition discussion topic)

DrewFinale 2023-01-09 02:34:15
20 voices
117 replies
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    Charcoal
    Hi Drew,

Regarding Matt Loreto’s question about cakes and your answer, is it possible to reverse the firing direction of a Cake-Slice, so for example instead of firing left to right, it would become right to left ?

Thanks !

DrewFinale
    Silver

Hi Drew,

Regarding Matt Loreto’s question about cakes and your answer, is it possible to reverse the firing direction of a Cake-Slice, so for example instead of firing left to right, it would become right to left ?

Thanks !

Hi ArtiDan, yes, it’s possible and it’s permitted in the competition because it doesn’t require any physical modifications to the cake. In the real world, the crew would simply place the cake on the ground in the opposite orientation. In Finale 3D, you can accomplish this by selecting the cake in your show, then going to ‘Script > Angles > Rotate cakes 180 degrees’.

ArtiDan
    Charcoal
    Awesome !

Thanks !

brad
    Newcomer
    Angles clarification.  PROX and FRONT say no angle restrictions, but that only certain items can be shot horizontally.

For all other items, Is anything less than 90 degrees “not horizontal,” or is there a generally accepted max angle (e.g: 60, 80) we need to stick to?

Thanks,

– Brad

Engineer Cat
    Newcomer
    Drew, about a week ago I started to get notices that there is an update available. I have been ignoring it in fear I will loose or wont be able to open the current shows I’m working on since instructions at the beginning of the contest stated we must have this particular version of the software running to use the pyrojam template. Can I allow it to update?

DrewFinale
    Silver

Angles clarification. PROX and FRONT say no angle restrictions, but that only certain items can be shot horizontally.

For all other items, Is anything less than 90 degrees “not horizontal,” or is there a generally accepted max angle (e.g: 60, 80) we need to stick to?

Thanks,

– Brad

Yes, that’s correct, only certain items can be shot horizontally, and the items that qualify for horizontal shooting go on the Prox positions. For everything else fired from the Prox or Front positions, no angle restrictions mean you can fire at any angle less than 90 degrees from vertical. In theory, that means you could fire an item at 89 degrees, but since the non-horizontal items will be fired from ground level, it may not make sense to use such an aggressive angle. The spirit of the rules is to try to give you a much creative freedom as possible, that’s the reason no hard limit is set.

DrewFinale
    Silver

Drew, about a week ago I started to get notices that there is an update available. I have been ignoring it in fear I will loose or wont be able to open the current shows I’m working on since instructions at the beginning of the contest stated we must have this particular version of the software running to use the pyrojam template. Can I allow it to update?

Great question, the competition instructions say to make sure you’re running the 2022.12.19 beta release of Finale 3D or newer. The key words in this case are “or newer”. In short, you should not have any problem if your update to the most recent beta release. Additionally, if for any reason you did experience an issue, you could simply roll back to the release you were previously running. You can run any release of Finale 3D at any time just by downloading/installing.

Pyro_11810000
    Newcomer
    I have a question about a piece of product. Part number: (JY6-0276) Description: (Red Strobe willow) Size: 6″

My question is if I have it set to break at lets just say 00:38:820 but the actual break comes at 00:39:320 do I still set the shell to break at 00:38:820 or do I pull it back me to match when it actually breaks?

Thank you

Matt

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Hi Matt (Pyro_11810000), welcome to the Finale 3D forum, thanks for posting! Be sure to head over to your My Profile to customize your Display Name and Profile Picture.

Just like in real life, shell effects in Finale 3D typically have some timing variance. This means that if you launch multiple shells of the same kind at the same time, they will break (i.e, burst) at slightly different times. The variance is a percentage of the the lift time (i.e., rising time), so the larger the shell, the more difference you will see in break times. Best practice is to script to the cue marker/blip on the timeline, not to fudge the timing to get the simulation to look right.

You mentioned that the difference between your cue marker/blip and the actual appearance of the break in the simulation is a half second, that seemed suspicious so I took a look at the simulation and I found a small issue. For context, prefire time (the time from firing system ignition to the cue marker/blip) can be configured separately from the lift time (i.e., rising time) of a shell. In this case, the shell had a prefire time of 3.5s, but a lift time of 4s. This is why you were consistently seeing the shell appear 0.5s late. I fixed the simulation so the prefire and lift time are the same, you should be all set.

Now you might be thinking…

Okay Drew, but how do I get the updated effect?

You will automatically get the updated effect in the PyroJam catalog the next you login (which triggers a sync) or trigger a sync manually by going to File > Sync with network.

Okay Drew, I did that, but my shell is still breaking late in my show, what how do I fix it?

When you added the shell to your show, a copy of the shell effect was added to ‘Per-show effects’. Think of Per-show effects as the time capsule that contains all the effects for your show. This way, if you send your show to someone else, or if you open your show 6 months or 10 years from now and the PyroJam catalog is long gone, your show will still look exactly the same. The effects in your show aren’t automatically updated (i,e, Per-show effects isn’t automatically updated), but you can update them with a single click by going to Effects > Update Per-show effects.

Matt Loreto
    Charcoal
    Thank you! I’m sorry I don’t know why my name came up as that!! Thank you for fixing that!!

Engineer Cat
    Newcomer
    So I did the update last night and now all the camera positions are incorrect. This is happening when I select front view.

Engineer Cat
    Newcomer
    I downloaded the 2023 beta update just now and it resolved the camera problem. I had updated to the full release version yesterday so maybe that was the issue.

DrewFinale
    Silver

I downloaded the 2023 beta update just now and it resolved the camera problem. I had updated to the full release version yesterday so maybe that was the issue.

Yes, the latest full release is from 2022.09.18 (September 18, 2022) and doesn’t include the front view orientation features. For PyroJam, you need a release from 2022.12.19 (December 19, 2022) or later.

Engineer Cat
    Newcomer
    Is there a way to do a mass audit of the products placed in firing positions to make sure none of the effects are in the wrong positions? Such as 4″ shell placed in a CK position instead of 2.5″ – 4″ shell position? Or is going through the final script and checking each cue the only way to do this?

DrewFinale
    Silver

Great question, Engineer Cat, here are some approaches you could take for auditing your design that would be much quicker and easier than going through your entire script chronologically.

1) Filter and sort the Script window to simplify the script and timeline and break the show into easily auditable sections. For example, you could filter your script to 2.5″, 3″ and 4″ shells, then sort the script by position. This would bring anything that isn’t on a 2.5″-4″ position to the top or bottom of the Script window. Alternatively, you could filter to specific positions then sort by size. This would bring any items of incompatible size to the top or bottom of the script. If you filter to a row of positions, you can look at the colors of the duration bars in the timeline. For example, if you filter your script to the Cake positions and you see an item with a bright blue bar on the timeline, then you know there’s a 4″ shell on a Cake position.

2) Filter the script to specific Subtypes then use the simulation window to identify position assignment issues. For example, you could filter your script to all Subtypes of single shots, then press Ctrl+A to select the entire script, then orbit the camera viewpoint in the Design window to see if any single shot items are being launched from the wrong position. These are just a few of the many ways to use the filters and column sorts in the Script window in conjunction with the timeline and Design window that will be much easier than trying to do a full-script chronological audit.

3) Create a custom report that summaries the items in each position by size or some other criteria to easily identify items in the wrong positions.

Engineer Cat
    Newcomer
    Awesome. That is very helpful!

Thanks Drew.

Marius Colita
    Newcomer
    Hello! Excuse the confusion…I hesitate to ask the question, I’ve been putting it off for a long time regarding “Title/Theme & Description”: What we need to know, we’re doing an “essay” like in school. story…what did the author of the song mean or us or…and the author/composer and us…?

DrewFinale
    Silver

Hello! Excuse the confusion…I hesitate to ask the question, I’ve been putting it off for a long time regarding “Title/Theme & Description”: What we need to know, we’re doing an “essay” like in school. story…what did the author of the song mean or us or…and the author/composer and us…?

Hi Marius, you absolutely do not need to write an essay. You also do not need to write about individual songs. You don’t even need to write in English, you can write in whatever language you are most comfortable writing. Your show simply needs to have a theme and a title, and when you submit your show, you just need to provide a short description explaining your theme. When the judges review your show, 5% of your score will be based on your theme and how well it is represented by your fireworks design.

Here are the exact requirements from the competition page:

Show Title & Description
    Pick a theme for your show. The theme can be anything you like. When you submit your show, you will be asked to provide a show title and a description of your theme. There is no specific length requirement for the show description, it should simply be of sufficient length to introduce your show to the judges and the audience. For example, a show description could be a few sentences.

Marius Colita
    Newcomer
    I understand thank you !

Now I come with other questions, I think it has already been answered, but I want to be sure! 1. Can I tilt the products used from the “P” or “F” positions in any direction? Including towards the direction of the public? (SS Mine, SS comet even SS Shell or Cake) and 2. Here, when I want to put a single one in the table, it shows me 6 or 10 pieces, how many are actually used? Does the software count the number of “shots”, firings or how many “batteries” are used(photo 1)?

DrewFinale
    Silver
    Hi Marius Colita, great questions, and thank you for the screenshots, they are very helpful.

1. For safety and other production considerations, effects can only be angled left or right, not toward or away from the public audience.

2. The effects in your screenshot are pre-made chains of shells. These are shells that are connected together by the manufacturer on a single fuse. Finale 3D can count each chain as 1, or it can count based on the number of shells on the chain. The PyroJam inventory quantities are based on the total number of individual shells available, therefore Finale 3D should be configured to count the number of shells. For example, when you add 1 chain of 10 shells to your show, the ‘Used’ quantity in the Effects window should say 10. Your screenshot shows that your settings are configured correctly. The chain settings are described on the PyroJam competition page in the ‘Show Budget’ section, here’s a screenshot from the page:

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 118 total)